PATRON CODE OF CONDUCT
The following actions and forms of conduct are not permitted in the Niagara Falls Public Library or on library property:
1. Any action or behavior which is disruptive, disturbing, disorderly or potentially harmful to others.
2. Any loud, unreasonable and/or disturbing noises created by persons, electronic devices or cell phones.
3. Improper use of furniture, equipment or materials.
4. Moving tables, chairs or other furniture.
5. Intentionally damaging, destroying, or stealing any library property or a patron's or staff property.
6. Removing library property or materials from the building without going through established loan procedures or other authorization.
7. Loitering, sleeping or putting head, legs or feet on the table.
8. Not wearing shoes or shirt, or wearing clothes unbuttoned or unzipped.
9. Bringing in more than one canvas, nylon, paper or plastic bag. No bag can be over 18 inches in length. Larger bags of any type, bedrolls or luggage are prohibited.
10. Consumption or use of any food or beverages in building; possession of open food or drink (except for official library functions in designated areas).
11. Use of tobacco or electronic cigarettes in the building or within 100 feet of any entrance.
12. Possession or consumption of alcohol or illegal drugs or being under the influence of same.
13. Taking library materials into restrooms; improper use of restrooms, including shaving and bathing.
14. Soliciting, surveying, selling of any kind, political campaigning, and distribution or posting of materials not specifically authorized by the Library Director.
15. Unauthorized or unscheduled group meetings.
16. Unauthorized use of meeting rooms or any unauthorized area, including stairwells, elevators, or any area around the building.
17. Unauthorized use of a non-public door or any non-public area.
18. Adults using the children's area. This area is for children and their parents or care providers only.
19. Use of library for child-attending services; leaving a child under thirteen years of age unattended by a responsible person for any amount of time; leaving a child of any age an excessive period of time or beyond closing.
20. Refusal to leave library after designated closing time.
21. Unauthorized, improper or unsafe use of any library grounds or parking area.
22. Animals in the building, except assistance animals.
23. Carrying weapons of any type.
24. Any illegal acts or conduct in violation of Federal, State, or local law, ordinance or regulation.
Failure to comply with the Library's Patron Code of Conduct may result in exclusion from the Library for the day, permanently and/or in arrest. Theft of Library materials is a serious offense and will result in permanent exclusion from the library and arrest. Communication of threats, physical violence or sexual offenses will result in permanent exclusion. Trespassers will be arrested and prosecuted.
Source: Policy Adopted 7-25-2012 by NFPL Board of Trustees, Revised and Adopted by NFPL Board of Trustees Approval August 30, 2013.