Anyone who is a resident or property owner in Niagara, Orleans or Genesee County (Nioga Library System) is eligible for a free library card. Special arrangements for short-term borrower's cards may be made for students at Niagara University and selected other non-resident visitors. Inquire at the Circulation Desk. Patrons must have their library card with them to borrow items from the library. The replacement cost for a lost card is $1.00.
How to apply for a card:
Adult Cards (age 13 and over)
To apply for a card you must present two forms of identification that establish your identity and residency.
Identity: Photo ID such as a driver's license, government issued ID card, school ID, school lunch card
Residency: An item with your current address printed on it, such as a bill or letter sent to the home (dated within the past two months) or a recent report card.
Children's Cards (age 5 – 12)
Children are eligible for their own cards beginning at age 5. A parent or legal guardian must come into the library with the child and present two forms of identification (see examples above) issued in the adult's name. The child must also be present.
Individuals who do not reside or own property in Niagara, Orleans or Genesee counties may obtain a library card by paying a fee of $25.00 per year. This card provides for the loan of up to 15 items at one time.
Loan Periods and Limits
How many items may I borrow?
Maximum number of books – 40
Maximum number of magazines - 3
Maximum number of DVDs – 10
Maximum number of CDs – 10
Maximum number of video games - 1
Maximum total amount of both books and audiovisual material – 40 items
- No more than four books can be borrowed from one author, new book selection or category at one time.
- No more than five new DVDs may be borrowed at one time.
- No more than one video game may be borrowed at one time.
How long can I keep the items?
Books and Books on CD – 3 weeks
Magazines - 3 weeks
CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, video games – 1 week
Most items may be renewed if they are not already overdue or have not been requested by another patron.
Number of times items may be renewed:
- Books - 2
- Magazines - 1
- CDs, DVDs, Playaways- 2
- Video games - 0
To renew, patrons can:
- Bring the items to the Circulation Desk at the library
- Call 286-4894 for the main library, or 283-8309 for the LaSalle branch (caller must have his/her library card number and the title(s) of material to be renewed)
- Renew through the library's online catalog (you will need your library card barcode number and PIN). Don't have a PIN yet? Click here and follow the instructions in the "Getting Started" box on the right. Forgot your PIN? Click here, then click Log In, then click on the Forgot My PIN link.
- Adult items are assessed a fine of $.10 per item, per day up to a maximum of $5.00 per item.
- Children's items are assessed a fine of $.02 per item, per day up to a maximum of $5.00 per item.
- Books on CD & Books on Tape are assessed a fine of $.10 per item, per day up to a maximum of $5 per item.
- CDs are assessed a fine of $.10 per item, per day up to a $5.00 maximum per item.
- DVDs and video games are assessed a fine of $1.00 per item per day up to a maximum of $10.00 per item.
- Borrowers are not allowed to check out items or use library computers if there is a lost item on their record, or if unpaid fines total more than $5.00.
Reserving an Item (Placing a Hold)
You may request to have materials held or sent from another library by:
- Making a request at the reference desk
- Using the "Place Hold" function in the online catalog (you will need your library card barcode number and PIN). Don't have a PIN yet? Click here and follow the instructions in the "Getting Started" box on the right. Forgot your PIN? Click here, then click Log In, then click on the Forgot My PIN link.
- Calling the Reference Department at 286-4881
- Items will be held for one week after they are received and the patron has been called.
Adopted date: 8/27/14